Thursday, September 10, 2009

A very humble thank you

A sincere and humble thank you to all of you who, through donations (in money and paintings), registration to the Outsiders Festival, continuous and kind support, are contributing to a cause that it is very dear to me.
As you all know, I am planning to have a gallery dedicated to Outsider Art and your donations will go towards establishing that gallery.
My gallery is open to anyone who wishes to be part of it.
The gallery will be in a house we own on Anzac Highway, close to the Highway Inn, a place that is undergoing a major development in the near future.
The Greenhill galleries have open a gallery at the Highway Inn, very convenient and extremely favourable for us.
At present there are a few things to be sorted out, and this year, only the Rumpus Gallery is functional (that is, an independent portable house at the back of the property).
During the Outsiders Festival it will be used to present any objectionable material (non-family friendly - if you wish).
Essentially I intend to have there a hub where there will be plenty of activity, not just a gallery that will be open a few days a week, with three weeks shows that rarely (apart from the opening) someone visits.
I believe in diversity and I believe that because of the extremely poor position of the artist in the mainstream, any art should be encouraged, especially art that comes from people who make art for the love of it.
I have embraced the Outsiders idea exactly for this reason. I believe that Outsider art is more genuine than most of the stuff that "respectable" galleries have on display.
So, therefore, if you have any pieces that you wish to present, I am very happy to put them on display - I do not have any selection criteria.